Introduction to Counselling Skills (Intensive Course)
Duration: 12 weeks (1 evening per week)
– Those considering a career in counselling
– Those planning to eventually apply for the DipHE Counselling (Children and Young People).
– Those working in other caring professions, e.g.: teachers, teaching assistants and social workers.
– Those looking to improve their communication skills.
Next course begins: May 2023. Classes will run one evening a week from 6pm-8.45 pm
Join us for an engaging introduction to the world of counselling. Whether you’re considering further counselling study, or you’re looking to improve your interpersonal skills, this course is an excellent platform to increase your understanding. Pass all three key units to receive Renew’s Level 2 Award.
The professional context of counselling
In this unit, you’ll begin with a basic introduction to counselling. Develop an understanding of what counselling is, including the importance of abiding to an ethical framework (such as the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions). Improve your understanding of the importance of creating the right environment and ethos for the helping relationship.
Communication skills in helping relationships
Explore effective communication skills used in helping relationships. You’ll develop a range of listening and responding skills to establish and improve interactions.
An introduction to personal development and theory
Reflect on your own values, beliefs and personal development, and identify areas for future development.
You’ll be provided with supportive feedback throughout the course and will be assessed on your knowledge and skills. We’ll support you to develop your skills and understanding of the counselling environment through a variety of classroom activities, including triad skills practice and discussions. In addition, you’ll keep a weekly reflective journal to record and develop your learning. You’ll need to allow about two hours a week for writing up and background reading.
Fees for this course are £240.
This course is an introduction to counselling and thus unsuitable for those exploring deep personal issues.
Please talk to the tutor if you are unsure as to whether your personal situation might interfere with the demands of the course.
This is an introduction to counselling skills and will not qualify learners to practice as counsellors.
Places must be booked and paid for in advance.
– Registrations cancelled up to two months in advance of the start date will be refunded 80% of the full fee of £240.
– Registrations cancelled later than two months in advance of the start date will be refunded 50% of the full fee of £240.
– Registrations cancelled one month or less in advance of the start date will not be eligible for a refund.
– We reserve the right to postpone or cancel the course and would refund the course fees.
– Renew Counselling will not be liable for delays and/or modifications to the programme due to unforeseen circumstances.
To book on to this course, please get in touch with our training team.