Introduction to Counselling Skills (Intensive Course)
Duration: 12 weeks (1 evening per week)
– Those considering a career in counselling
– Those planning to eventually apply for the DipHE Counselling (Children and Young People).
– Those working in other caring professions such as: teachers, teaching assistants and social workers.
Next course begins: 21 February 2022. Classes will run on Mondays, 6pm-8.45 pm
This course provides a basic introduction to counselling and aims to enhance the skills of learners working with people; it also is a taster for individuals considering further counselling study.
The course consists of three mandatory units which must be passed in order to receive the Level 2 Award.
The professional context of counselling
This unit provides a basic introduction to counselling. Learners will develop an understanding of what counselling is which includes the importance of abiding to an ethical framework (such as the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions). Learners will improve their understanding about the importance of creating the right environment and ethos for the helping relationship.
Communication skills in helping relationships
In this unit, learners will explore effective communication skills used in helping relationships. They will develop a range of listening and responding skills to establish and improve interactions.
An introduction to personal development and theory
In this unit, learners will have the opportunity to reflect on their own values, beliefs and personal development, and identify areas for future development.
Supportive feedback: Learners will be provided with supportive feedback throughout the course and will be assessed on their knowledge and skills. A variety of classroom activities will support learners to develop skills and understanding of the counselling environment, including triad skills practice and discussions. In addition, learners will be asked to keep a weekly reflective journal to record and develop their learning. Learners should allow about two hours a week for writing up and background reading.
Cost: Fees for this course are £240.
Further information: This course is an introduction to counselling and thus unsuitable for those exploring deep personal issues.
Please talk to the tutor if you are unsure as to whether your personal situation might interfere with the demands of the course. This is an introduction to counselling skills and will not qualify learners to practice as counsellors.
Places must be booked and paid for in advance.
– Registrations cancelled up to two months in advance of the start date will be refunded 80% of the full fee of £240.
– Registrations cancelled later than two months in advance of the start date will be refunded 50% of the full fee of £240.
– Registrations cancelled one month or less in advance of the start date will not be eligible for a refund.
– We reserve the right to postpone or cancel the course and would refund the course fees.
– Renew Counselling will not be liable for delays and/or modifications to the programme due to unforeseen circumstances.